Saturday, February 20, 2016

Granny's Pigs in the Blanket

My Granny's Pigs in the Blanket

My grandmother lived at the end of our street which intersected in a "T" shape. Her apartment on the second floor provided her with a view of our street from one end to the other. She existed on very little income, but somehow always had a few extra dollars when needed. Once in a while Granny would splurge and make her Pigs in the Blanket. They were and are nothing like the "new pigs in the blanket" which are little hot dogs wrapped in dough. No, these were the most delicious little morsels in gravy served over mashed potatoes. Yum!!

I make them for special occasions such as my mother's birthdays, when she was living, parties, and showers. Granny used shaved beef and wrapped pieces in bacon. I have spoiled my family as I use shaved prime rib meat. Well, a picture is worth a thousand words so here goes nothing!


I didn't want to insult your intelligence or waste space with pictures showing each step. Simply purchase about 1 1/2 lbs of shaved beef, or pork if you prefer, and a pound of bacon. I cut the strips of bacon in half, place the shaved meat on it, and roll. You can see I used toothpicks to hold them together. 

Brown the bacon to get a bit of crispiness. As you'll see it's almost a waste of time, but I do it anyhow. That way I can freeze them for a future date.



Next is the gravy -


 I cheat - after melting 2-3 tablespoons of butter and stirring in equal amounts of flour, I add 2 cans of Progresso's French Onion soup. Getting the consistency right takes some practice. 



Add the meat to the pot and let it simmer for a few hours to soak up all the taste.

The mashed potatoes can be done days in advance or whenever you have time as I freeze mine sometimes. I might add these aren't ordinary mashed potatoes -

Peel and cook 5lbs of potatoes as usual. When you're ready to mash them add 8oz of cream cheese and 8oz of sour cream. Turn the mixture into a foil pan - easier to warm up and clean up.



Add pads of butter and refrigerate until ready to serve. To warm the potatoes up, place them in a 350 degree oven for about an hour. That's if they've been refrigerated.

If you have leftovers - freeze them for another great dinner!

Granny

Have a Firecrackin great day!!!


No comments: