Wednesday, August 19, 2009

What?

After being in the education field for almost 40 years and having what I think is a sufficient education, I wonder why it is that I can't do my own income tax or understand any of my insurance policies let alone my mother's Medicare and Medigap benefits or lack thereof. It appears to me the essence of Medicare and Medigap are top secret only to be revealed if you can crack the code. Ha, and I think I have.

My enjoyable summer reading has been replaced with a more technical book, "Medicare & You 2009". Boring!!! However, I need to understand the content in preparation for my mother's doctor's visit on Friday. He evidently is the key to opening Horizon Blue Cross/Shield of NJ's coverage for home health aid for my mother. I'll let you know how that turns out.

For now however I have to turn to the good that has come out of this bad experience.

First off I can't even begin to tell you how great my family has been. The day my mother went to the hospital my oldest daughter and husband were there to help and support not only my mother but me as the whole thing unfolded. They remained in contact throughout the day while my son and youngest daughter caught up to us in the emergency room where they were able to meet my once young neighbor, John Stetser (Chip, emergency room nurse). He was wonderful making sure my mother was comfortable and comforting us.

One of the priority items to be completed before my mother returned to her home was the removal and installation of a new air conditioner. I'm glad I wasn't there for that. The idea was to have it delivered and then have one of my son's friends install it. They probably should have waited but my son thought he could accomplish the task himself - not - but I give him a lot of credit for taking the initiative. His buddy that had installed the first one did such a great job that my son had to call my husband to lend a hand. I don't think that went over too well as my husband hasn't been feeling all that well, but he went up to help my son.

Somewhere along the line my brother and nephew stopped by the house after attending the Phillies Business Day game. Now you have four guys working on this poor mechanical air conditioner. I haven't gotten into the details of this adventure so some of the info may be off. I do know however that they called on my mother's neighbor to lend a hand as well. New joke in our house is "How many guys does it take to change an air conditioner?". I should mention that this was the same day my mother was kicked out of the hospital so by the time I got there they were just finishing up. It was a very hot day.

My mother has been at my house now for two weeks while we are cleaning out her house in preparation for her return. She is missing her bedroom, home and her porch socializing with her neighbors. The new air conditioner is working well and refreshing as the only air conditioner upstairs (until yesterday) was in her bedroom.

My brother, sister-in-law and my youngest daughter have helped me sort through everything while my oldest daughter and husband are at home taking care of my mother. I've volunteered to help my mother in the past to do this enormous task but she never wanted to get into it. Now I know why.

As we have made our way through closets, cabinets and our old bedrooms that were turned into storage areas, we have found treasured memorabilia that have interrupted our progress because we must reminisce. Perhaps the biggest treasure found were the very, very old memorabilia my grandmother had preserved for my mother.

Genealogy has always been an interest within our family. For years I asked my mother where her family Bible had gone. Her reply was that my grandmother's step-sister had it. Wrong - not only did I find the family Bible with entries dating back to 1773 in a metal under the bed container but I also found tin pictures dating back to the late 1800's. Identifing those family members is an almost impossible task but I'm working on it. I also found my first pair of baby shoes and my first pair of walking shoes. My mother had her wedding pictures, marriage and high school certificates of my great grandparents and grandparents, a handwritten family tree, Woodbury Daily News dating 1882 and a couple of others within the late 1800's and a box full of old family pictures.

I couldn't resist scanning the tin pictures. They really came out pretty good. I was amazed at the pictures of Ed Glenn. One was taken of him as a young boy and the other was taken in 1862 while he was in the Union Army. Along with the picture a letter was recovered from another relative.



Ed Glenn has a check above him

As I look at some of the pictures taken in the early 1900's, I am able to identify some of the tin pictures. I believe the following is a picture of my great grandfather.

Benjamin Dilks

My Great Grandfather, Benjamin Dilks (Benny) worked for The Constitution and Farmers and Mechanic's Advertiser for over 50 years. He must have been quite a man for The Constitution ran a big article about him in their March 29, 1939 paper. I know my mother adored him.

His first wife, Ella Haggerty, had my grandmother. Ella died when my grandmother was 10 months old. I believe she was 23 years old.


He remarried six years later.


Sally Louis Dilks, Benjamin Dilks
left Edythe Dilks and Florence Dilks

The following pictures are somewhat of a mystery. I haven't scanned all the pictures I've found so it may take a while for me to be able to identify them. One of the other good things coming out of this transition for my mother is that she has her long term memory still in tact so maybe she will be able to identify some of these photos too.








I found it amazing that no one seemed to smile. They all look so, so serious. Solving the mysteries of my new find should keep me out of trouble for a while.

Off to do trial exhibits.

Have a Firecrackin Great Day!!






No comments: