Monday, June 29, 2009

My First Week of Summer Vacation

Ah, I'm getting a taste of what retirement might be like. You don't have to squeeze cleaning, washing and grocery shopping into the two day weekend. Nope I can spread out these futile tasks over a week or not do them at all. I get to design and make new products for my Firecrackinmama's Zazzle and work on my never ending task of refining my Firecrackinmama.com site. The most realistic part of this trial retirement is that there's no income but plenty of bills.

My first week off found me spending most of my time with a load of men. Yep, they're still working on the house. After the garage doors, which I posted in Firecrackinmama's World: It's Saturday!!!, both the window guys and the roofing guys showed up the following Friday, my last day at work.
Would you believe that both of the contractors' first name was George! Wow, what fun it was calling "George!" and both guys would respond.



This George did our windows

I think they did a great job with our windows and they were in and out in two days. We had 23 windows replaced. George was the third bid we received and a real Phillies fan, not that that had anything to do with hiring his company. We decided on a pewter color window with an almond trim since the front of our house is gray and the back and sides blue.

The funniest part of all this is that you know your home is looking bad but since it's yours and you see it on a daily basis, it never looks quite as bad as it really is or you're in denial of how bad it really looks. For example:



House before anything was done.



House with new garage doors and front windows almost complete and new roof in progress.

The gutters will be replaced once all the work on the deck is finished. We have the Davis Brothers doing the roof and the decks out back.



We had Brian back in the nineties come and cap the house and put the gray barn siding in the front. The older we get the more maintenance free we need. They do great work and are very dependable. George is in charge of our newest needs but Brian is here too.

As of Wednesday the roof was finished:



The windows were finished but the roof was still underway.



Windows and roof are finished! Gutters will be replaced last.

The original design and deck building was done by a defunct group. Here's what these guys have to redo.








We love our decks and have gotten a great deal of enjoyment out of them - mostly for party reasons but great for relaxing. In my defense I generally do the gardens around the decks and clean them up but since we were having them refurbished, I didn't bother this year. Instead I cut back all the 20 plus year old shrubs and my husband and I are in the process of pulling out the stumps - trying not to get in their way.

The guys were moving along so well that hubby and I went to Lowe's to buy the outdoor fan, storm doors and entry doors. Do you know how much a new front door costs? Holy cow!!

By Friday of last week this is how far they had gotten.



Notice the biggggg shrubs are gone.









George is going to make sun bursts in the two empty railing areas

They'll be here shortly. I've been keeping them well hydrated with a big cooler full of drinks and ice oh, and of course a cold, cold brew at the end of the long hot days.

Well, I'm off to the store to get more drinks and ice to fill the cooler.

Have a Firecrackin great day everyone!




No comments: