Monday, March 16, 2009

The Party's Over

Yep, the party is over in more ways then one. I thought my son's 30th birthday party was a huge success. However it was a clear announcement to the end of an era for me.

I remember back when I first had kids, I could take care of them, clean the house, do the wash and work outside in the yard - all in one day. Now that they are grown I've noticed that I'm lucky to get up go to work and maybe do a couple of loads of wash - all in one day.

We used to have every holiday at our house except for Thanksgiving and Easter. I cooked all the food, cleaned, decorated to the nines and served and cleaned up (always had help cleaning up). As the kids got older they helped. Now if it wasn't for them there would be no parties and yesterday's party was the writing on the wall.

My oldest daughter and her friend are exhausted today. I managed to spend all the money for decorations, food and drinks and cleaned with the help of my husband. The two girls did most of the decorating, ran the last minute errands, prepared the food for the food trays and put them together. At some point I was told by them that they had everything under control and more or less dismissed. I didn't even get upset. Actually I felt relieved. That was definitely a reality check.



The guests arrived and everything looked great. I sat and chatted and before long it was time for the cakes and desserts. They had cleared everything from one table to another and set up the desserts. All I had to do was take pictures of my birthday boy blowing out the candles.



Finally it was time for my son to open his gifts. I looked around an saw that the girls had completely cleaned up the kitchen.

Today I'm feeling the aches and pains of climbing up on the chair a thousand times to hang decorations. So needless to go any further. It's time for me to surrender to the supervisor's position of party decorations and I have to admit I feel relieved.

So with this reality check I'm ready to accept what I can do and what I can no longer do.

What I can and like to do are designs for my online Firecrackinmama's Zazzle.

1 comment:

NicoleB said...

I know what you mean :)