Tuesday, March 10, 2009

It's Your Duty!

If you've been following my Blogs, you know that I pick my mother up every night and bring her down to our house for a good dinner and entertainment provided by Wheel of Fortune. She's very good at that game.

Anyhow during the warmer weather she enjoys sitting on her front porch passing the time with her neighbors. When I get to her house there can be quite a gathering. It's really good for her. Sometimes the conversation is pure gossip of neighborhood happenings other times it about memories and sometimes it gets down right political.

A couple of days ago we had very nice weather and I caught a small group gathering on the porch. The President's stimulus package came up and whether or not it was going to help the economy. My mother surprised us as she was on top of that topic. Her only comment was "I don't want to have to go through another depression". Over the years I have heard plenty about how the Great Depression affected our family and I don't want to have to live through that either. History does have a way of repeating itself. I would hope that we as a nation have learned from our previous mistakes and will try not to make them again.

I'm not a historian by any means but certain parts of history have always fascinated me. The Revolutionary War, the Civil War, World War I and World War II are eras that seem to have brought out more American Patriotism then any other time in history. September 11 was and is the most recent stimulus for American Patriotism but I'm not so sure it carries the same weight as the more historical events.

Now we have a President that is trying to fix a worldwide problem. Maybe we need some more positive responses from the news media instead of the doomsday reports they keep sharing. Maybe we need to go back to the vintage posters used in WWI and WWII.



This World War I vintage poster makes me feel guilty that I haven't recently bought any US Savings Bonds. Hmm... might be better then stuffing money under my mattress.


Oh, how I remember my mother and grandmother. They never threw anything out. My grandmother darned socks, my mother made my clothes, and they both sewed patches on our pants! I have to admit I'm not as thrifty as they were.

We Can Do It Vintage Print print
We Can Do It Vintage Print by Firecrackinmama

Ok, so we are in a bad way economically. Our family is hurting, retirement is now a figment of our imagination and we might be living in a tent city sometime in the future. But I believe that poster above. We can do it. Let's take the advice of our great-grandparents, grandparents and parents.

Invest in our country! Buy US Savings Bonds!!! I think.

Boom! Boom!! Boom!!!

No comments: