Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Living Photos

I've been with Firecrackinmama's Zazzle for a little over a year now. It's been a great creative outlet for me as I hate to see photographs shoved into albums, boxes or computer files only to be viewed when a nostalgic moment moves you to do so.

Photography must be a genetic thing as my mother has over 12 albums spanning the lifetimes of my great-grandparents through the lifetimes of her grandchildren, all are still growing. She's 88 now and not so interested in taking pictures. I bought her a little Canon Power Shot but she can't remember how to snap the shot. What is truly funny is that she still looks for the pin hole viewer instead of using the screen. At any rate I've been taking pictures since I was a little girl - another lifetime now- moving from film to digital.

I've converted all her albums to DVDs and am now in the process of playing with some of the pictures. This one of my father was taken on the corner of Red Bank Ave. and Broad St. in Woodbury, NJ back in 1940. It was one of my mother's favorites. It seemed appropriate for these times.


I'll be doing some more nostalgic cards, magnets, and what not throughout this next year.

My greatest enjoyment however is photo manipulation. I know I've written about my Ghosts of the Revolution before but I have to tell you it came out better then I expected. I finally decided that was to be my mouse pad for the year at work. It turned out better then it looks on screen.


The amazing thing is that the colors came out so well that the mouse pad glows where it shows here and it looks 3 dimensional. Ok, I'm really patting myself on the back but this time I really feel that I deserve it.

Our family trip this year was to Williamsburg, VA. We used to go yearly but over the past several years just didn't make it. As we were returning to our rooms one evening I was able to quickly snap the background. The ghosts were extracted from several other pictures and placed atop the background.

Another favorite thing to do with photographs is make poster calendars. I've got to make my decision soon as to which one I want on my wall at work. So far this one seems to catch my fancy.

One final thing for today that I've truly enjoyed doing is making greeting cards out of my photos. I opened Firecrackinmama's Card Store almost a year ago. I have had so much fun over there that I've sometimes neglected my Firecrackinmama.com and Firecrackinmama's Zazzle.

I don't think people realize that card giving has taken on a totally new meaning. My mother has every card that was ever given to her by my father and us (my brother and I). I wish I could say the same thing but as most people I file them in the circular file after a short time.

At Firecrackinmama's Card Store I found that giving a card nowadays is giving a gift IF you use a photo. I took even that to the next level - I made card photo calendars.


Customers can personalize the message inside and the recipient can easily separate the front from the rest of the card and place it in a 5"x7" frame. So I guess the person giving the gift might even want to give the frame with the card. I have several of these so I guess you know what one of my holiday gifts is going to be.


I guess you can get an idea now of the multiple use of your pictures. Naturally I don't expect that you would want mine, although many have, so I created a Create Your Own section in my Firecrackinmama's Gallery. Check it out. You can make your own tees, skate boards, mouse pads, calendars, design your own keds and more!








No comments: