Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Create Your Own

Create your own, make your own, design your own, these are all search words I used on the Internet just before I began investing in my own print production business. It was amazing that only one or two places popped up but the minimum orders were outrageous. I mean what am I going to do with 1,000 business cards, 500 greeting cards (all the same), etc. The required quantity made the deal null and void unless you had a mega company.

I quickly learned that there were many other small businesses around town that had the same problems. They were willing to pay a bit more for less. So I invested in a Martin Yale 10 up Business Card Slitter and found a paper outlet store that had white linen paper. Yep, that slitter has paid for itself ten times over. I still have small businesses call me for cards and customers for gift tags, student reward cards and various other things that could be made from that size card. I thought outside the box and won!

Didn't win for long though. The cost of travel to buy the paper, price of ink, time to design, print, cut, shipping and handling became too much. In reality I was losing money but creating a great customer base. My printing expanded to calendars, greeting cards, note cards, postcards, stickers, bumper stickers, etc. I couldn't keep up.

Finally I found a print on demand site that had some really cool gifts, cards, and t-shirts. I wasn't too good with design at the time nor was I able to make my store front look inviting. It was just a basic template. I've come a long way since cutting my teeth on that site. I now have my Firecrackinmama.com and my Firecrackinmama's Zazzle galleries where I offer the ability to Create Your Own Gifts.

With the holidays coming up quickly and the money tight what better way to go shopping then online. Personalized and customized gifts have more meaning and your money is spent on something that won't be regifted. Here is a sample of what you can find at Firecrackinmama's Create Your Own Gifts.
Design your own business card and order as few as 100. Buy in bulk and save!
Select from multiple types of paper and select your own size of card.
Create Your Own Card profilecard
Create Your Own Card

I selected a smaller size card and created a Christmas package tag card. With this size you can create just about anything. Simply click on the above card and in the card size tab pick the smallest size.
I've made calendars for years but these professional looking calendars are great for gifts, businesses promotion and of course fund raisers.


If you have a skate boarder in your household or know someone who is, this is perfect:

Is that not cool?

I love my travel mug! You can choose from so many styles, colors and sizes, including a stein.


I don't have them pictured here but you can now custom design your own Keds. They come in children and toddlers' sizes as well as women's pumps, slip-ons and lace-ups. I have had a ball designing. Check them out at FirecrackinFootWear!

Now if you are really into tees, you can of course design your own. Again choose from multiple styles, colors and sizes for men, women, children, toddlers and babies!


I'm not good with tees so usually I'll recommend another gallery that has everything you can imagine. Check it out!


I won't bore you any longer with this. I think you've gotten the message. Take time and check it out yourself at Firecrackinmama's Create Your Own Gifts!

2 comments:

Fun T-shirts said...

Very informative post... I love the way you write! Thanks so much for the mention! Hope you're doing great :)

Gypsy Girl said...

awesome idea of letting people know what products zazzle offers w/o showcasing a specific design!

I have added you to my "follows" as well as blogrolled you on
http://www.artsyedge.blogspot.com

On Zazzle I am Tams Tees/crypticfragments et al