Sunday, August 10, 2008

You Know You're Old When

You know you're old when you see cars you used to drive when you were young in a local car show. Yep, every Tuesday night I'm told they have an impromptu car show here at Bob's Big Boy in Burbank. I didn't take any pictures of the cars we drove during our teens and early adulthood, but I did get some good shots of those my mother and father may have driven.

These impromptu shows occur on the East Coast as well, so it wasn't a "WoW" but it was cool! We used to have titles for this station wagon but anymore the meaning has changed drastically.

Now, I can remember riding in a car such as this although we didn't have the surf boards on top. The third, seat if I recall, faces the rear of the car. We were visiting my aunt and uncle in Florida at the time. They lived in Ft. Lauderdale. My uncle decided that we should take a road trip to the Keys. So we set out in the car and three of us had the responsibility of sitting in the rear seat to watch for the police. I guess my Uncle Charlie had a heavy foot. It seemed like we were going pretty fast.

My Uncle Charlie was of German descent and when he spoke, you listened. Well, at any rate, it was a long ride and if you know kids, they get tired easily in a car. Yep, we fell asleep and didn't wake up until the sirens were upon us. Hmmm... I remember he was really, really, really mad at us. As a matter of fact he made his kids pay for the ticket. My brother and I were exempt as we were guests and it was our first time on the job.

We had a great time in the Keys though.

I found myself at this car show, as well as at some others that I've been too, fascinated by the guys in how they not only look at all these beautifully kept cars but how they examine the engine. Engines must be a guy thing because they all look the same to me.


Ok, so here are 3 engines that guys really seemed to be into. They are very shiny and clean. I'll let it go at that

I had to take a picture of this car since I have pictures of my mother and father in a Rumble seat - I think that's what they called it. I can still remember when I was very little one of my parents' friends came by and gave my brother and I a ride. It was one of the coolest things. How do I remember, we went to get ice cream of course. The wind blew our hair and everyone on the road looked at us. The car was a novelty back then.


As you can see the interior of the car has dramatically changed. Sometimes I long for the slower pace and less traffic of those days, the noise only being the wind, and the exercise of steering and changing gears. It was easy to read the gauges during the day but I wonder if they were lighted at night so you could see them.

We wandered around for a time and I took more pictures which I'll be displaying on my website when I get home. If you would like to stop by feel free to light the link to Firecrackinmama's!

No comments: